Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Getting started in Utah: Store policies, and tips for newbies!

Old 06-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Premier Penny Pincher/Moderator

Default Teach this old 'dog' new tricks, please.

Help! I haven't used coupons for a few years. Most notably when Albies left and the Red Plum left the newspaper. I am quitting ALL my jobs as my family needs me.

I need to start a new budget, stick to it and still enjoy my Harmons meats (that one is a try-must, but Recipe ready chicken is still $1.99/lb at Farmington).
  1. So where do I find a primer?
  2. Is it worth it to resign up for the paper?
  3. If so, which one and how many Sunday copies?
  4. Is printing coupons worth it (wasn't 3 years ago)?
  5. What stores are the best to shop at (hat Wal-mart, still)?
  6. What other strategies to enable me to stay on task and be here for my older kids?

HELP! TIA!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:47 PM

Deann! From one old-timer to another, couponing ain't what it used to be!

(e-mail me and we'll chat)
Old 06-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcarma View Post
Deann! From one old-timer to another, couponing ain't what it used to be!
Amen to that.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I tryed printing but my computer hates the program that you have to load and it totaly messed up my computer. I will never again try that. I know it works for alot of people but it was not worth the agravation for me. I just droped my newspaper it was just more stress than i felt it was worth. Mabey i just never realy got the hang of it. I am going to watch this thread mabey i can learn what i have been doing wrong... or what i need to try now.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Premier Penny Pincher

I just started back too and have found that it isn't what it used to be. I don't seem to use coupons as much as I did and I try to take advantage of Walmart's price matching. I have Buy Low markets weekly ad e-mailed to me and have Walmart price match them they generally have some great deals this week for Monday and Tuesday they have 10lbs potato for .69 and 1lbs strawberries for .59 my Walmart also does DBL coupons on Tuesdays up to a $1.00 so that helps as well. Good Luck

I really miss the Albertson days
Old 07-07-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrob881 View Post

I really miss the Albertson days
I think we can all feel that way.

The Albertson's closest to me was hopping every time there was a big sale. It was an anchor in a strip mall with a K-Mart and several other businesses including a Great Clips and a Blimpie. My family went there last night to Baskin Robbins and it is like a ghost town over there now! The K-Mart closed last year and since then the Great Clips and the Blimpie are both gone, too.

I actually looked in the Albertson's window and thought about how fun it was to go shopping there. Made me sad.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Master Penny Pincher

I started coupon shopping and PYP in 2005. It's not the same. I miss Albertsons too. I do like Winco for produce and somethings. I am a hit and miss coupon shopper. I got the newspaper SL Trib and DMN for a good deal and for some reason I keep doing it. It's up for renewal in Sept. Seriously go to Winco for produce.

We don't remember days we remember moments!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Some really good information is below the PYP logo. Just go click on those links (Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny). Give those links a try.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Yep I am in the same boat, Just bought my first paper in a really long time!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

Deann,

Thank you so very much for posting this!!

I have been wanting to ask for some advice for weeks! I would really like some guidance! I live in Kearns, UT and would especially like to hear from people who live in my area but would welcome any and all insight!

I don't want to reinvent the wheel. We all eat and I am sure many of you have already pondered, researched and discovered a system for buying food that works really well for your family. Would you please share what has worked for you?

I want to use one system so I have been investigating several. I have recently discovered groceryguru.com, grocerysmart.com, couponmom.com and dealstomeals.com - there may be others that you like even better!

I want to go to 1 store - maybe 2 MAX! We do have a costco membership. I like the price matching thing, I am not opposed to the coupon thing. The problem I have with coupons is that most of the food seems to be processed which doesn't work for our family.

The hubbie is a low-carber so we eat a TON of vegetables, lots of eggs, cheap meat (chicken, tuna and rarely beef), and a little fruit. No bread or sugar. I know,.. torture. If it were up to me we would live on chocolate. What we give up for love. (sigh)

I find that I experience a lot of stress each week as I consider the shopping list. I want that to stop. Any advice you give me would be sincerely appreciated.