Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Screaming Grocery Deals by State > Utah's Screaming Deals > Local referrals - Utah

Old 10-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgal
I'm just throwing this out there..what about a DO? or a ND?

Interesting- Pardon my ignorance, but can you please explain what a DO and an ND is??? Sounds interesting.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadragon
Interesting- Pardon my ignorance, but can you please explain what a DO and an ND is??? Sounds interesting.
I've not head of an ND, but a DO is a doctor of osteopathic medicine. They generally take a more natural approach to healing and treatment, while still utilizing medical advances that will benefit their patients.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Master Penny Pincher

I'm guess she meant MD, not ND.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by susansaves
I'm guess she meant MD, not ND.

Sorry for the response delay..yes, DO is a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=ado_whatis

and ND is a Naturopathic Physician
http://www.naturopathic.org/
Old 10-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicarae1060
I hope you find a good doctor.

Everybody has the right to make their own decisions regarding their children. We should be helpful and not judgemental. Everybody is going to have different opinions on what is right for their kids. So, please be kind ladies, this lady is reaching out for help and we should give it to her. I am sure that she hears the same thing about needing to vaccinate her children everyday. It is nothing new for her. This site should be a safe place to look for help.
I agree that this site should be a safe place to look for help, however I would hope that we can also receive opinions contrary to our own sometimes. This site would be dull if everyone that responded to our questions just agreed with us.

Parents are not omnipotent in the choices for their children. There are some choices parents make for personal or religious reasons that have been condemned as abuse or neglect. I'm not saying this is the case, but when I read of someone who is putting a compromised child at risk, I'm not going to be silent. Sorry to step on toes, but unvaccinated children are at great risk, and so is the population because of them. Diseases that have been irradicated have made huge comebacks thanks to those who refuse vaccinations. That directly affects me, because my son is immuno-compromised and cannot have live vaccines. Last year we were in the hospital for days because of a chicken pox epidemic that broke out at school.

I wish you luck finding a good doctor than doesn't believe in immunizations, or is willing to take the liability from your choice. It seems to me like looking for an good oncologist who doesn't believe in chemotherapy. If we all knew so much, maybe we wouldn't need medical professionals at all.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Professional Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfun

Parents are not omnipotent in the choices for their children.
Neither are Doctors!

Quote:
Diseases that have been irradicated have made huge comebacks thanks to those who refuse vaccinations.
And other disorders and learning disabilities that cannot be reversed or "get better" have come to light because people are too quick to jump on the immunization band wagon with out doing their research or finding out and paying attention to the effect that it has on our children.

Quote:
I wish you luck finding a good doctor than doesn't believe in immunizations, or is willing to take the liability from your choice. It seems to me like looking for an good oncologist who doesn't believe in chemotherapy. If we all knew so much, maybe we wouldn't need medical professionals at all.
IMO there will always be a need for medical professionals. They simply have the specialized education, that most of us will never have, to deal with children with special needs like your son and that of the OP. However, wouldn't it be nice if everybody were educated to at least a certain degree so that we could take care of the little things that come up, like ear infections, with out having to run to the doctor to get an antibiotic? There are so many things that we can do as parents that we do not give ourselves enough credit for and having a doctor that supports parents in thoughs decisions, without reporting you for child abuse, is so important! If I got cancer, you bet I am going to look for a doctor that is going to help me do everything in my power to avoid Chemo. Why, because I know that it can be done without! So then, why do I need a doctor? Because the doctor has the specialized training that I need to see if the cancer is leaving my body. We simply cannot leave every little decision and problem up to the doctors. We have got to take these things into our own hands!
Old 10-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Penny Pincher

Well, I think the two of you have pretty much covered both sides of the argument, so I hope we can leave it at that! I have gotten some great help from many of you, and I appreciate it! \

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by crylee
I have an awesome, awesome pediatrician in salt lake. We do vaccinate our kids so I am not 100% sure what his stance would be but he is very open minded and has recommended herbs, chiropractic care, hypnotherapy, etc. for me and my kids.

His office is across from St. Marks hospital so is a bit of a drive, but I live in Lehi and commute there anytime I need him.

His name is Kevin Parzych.
We used Dr. Parzych when our first son was a baby and I'd suspect that he would probably be pretty open minded regarding your immunization choices. I'd guess, and this is only a guess, that you'd have more luck with a doctor that isn't in a big practice than one who is. The ones in the big practices tend to tow the party line....

Good luck with it.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Penny Pincher

THANKS! I put in a call to his office this morning. They are checking and should call me back. Hope it works out! Sounds like he's good!
Old 10-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Penny Pincher

It sounds like you've already found your Dr, but in case you haven't we use Dr. Valdez in Spanish Fork. He is fine with doing selective/VERY delayed vaccinations (he's never given me any grief about it anyway) and a very competent doctor. I also have an asthmatic son and I've been happy with his treatment.