Home | Blog | Online Shopping Codes | Coupons 101 | Coupon Lists | Resources | Email Signup | Screaming Penny

Go Back   Pinching Your Pennies Forums > Making CENTS of life! > Preparedness tips

Old 07-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Junior Penny Pincher

Smile Food Storage and Preparedness Leader

I have just been called as our ward Food Storage and Preparedness leader. I am feeling overwhelmed and don't know where to start. Any ideas out there......
Old 07-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Professional Penny Pincher

Emergency Essentials has group specials each month. You have to buy anywhere from 6 to 12, pending on the item, to get a bulk discount. This month they have

Celery Pieces 12.00 reg 22.95 if you order 6
MRE Crackers 10.00 reg 28.50 if you order 6
Water Filtration bottle 10.00 reg 35.00 if you order 10
Potato slices 6.00 reg 8.75 if you order 12

The prices include tax and shipping is free!

Put a sign up outside the RS door and let people sign up for what they want. If min is not met then you do not order it. This works great for me because I can drop 20.00 a month for this kind of storage but not 100.00 in order to get the discount.

BePrepared.com check it out for all the details!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Premier Penny Pincher

Our Emergency Preparedness People go the the dry pack once a month for us. That's right...FOR US! Can you believe that?! They are empty nesters but not retired so they have the time. I don't know where you are right now in your life, but as a SAHM with a dh in school I can't find anyone to watch the kids during the day to go myself. This has helped me emensely in getting my food storage in great shape. They send around sign ups in the guys and Relief Society and also Primary. They offer 1-3 different products that they are willing to can that month and then they go and do it for us. They gather payment before they go and also drop it off that same day for us. I cannot tell you how grateful I am for this service they do for us. HTH!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Master Penny Pincher

In my old ward they went for us also... .She required the money the Sunday before and she also asked for a couple of helpers / Volunteers to haul the stuff and help with the canning. LOVED THIS and I miss it tremendously.

She also limited it two 3 or 4 Items a month and rotated through the items throughout the year (i.e oatmeal in the fall)
Old 07-08-2008, 12:48 PM

Smile How Fun!!!

What a fun and rewarding calling you have!!!

In my last ward, the person in your calling would send out weekly tips (via a ward email account) for water rotation, case lot sales, upcoming Enrichment Activities that had a food storage/ couponing/ preparedness focus, reminders to change fire alarm batteries, etc... This was helpful for the tips, but also for helping everyone keep in mind the counsel to be prepared.

She taught a class on different ways to gather a 3 month everyday food supply.

We had a Smart Shopping class.... (that's how I was introduced to PYP! : ) )

And just recently, we had a pressure canning class where we learned to pressure can beans, meat, pineapple (super yum!), etc...

I also had the Stake Dry Pack Canner in my garage for about 4 months...set up with a couple of tables, ready and available for anyone to come and bring their bags of of dry food and empty #10 cans/lids/oxy packs and can when it was convienient to them... (my son had many fun playdates at our house with the neighborhood children.)

It was really exciting to see 100's and 100's of pounds of food stored properly to last for 30 years.... It has been an amazing experience!

PM me if you would like anymore info... I could go on and on and on about this subject and don't want to bore anyone to tears!!!

Good luck and have fun with your new adventure!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Master Penny Pincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by memetoDJ
Emergency Essentials has group specials each month. You have to buy anywhere from 6 to 12, pending on the item, to get a bulk discount. This month they have

Water Filtration bottle 10.00 reg 35.00 if you order 10

The prices include tax and shipping is free!

BePrepared.com check it out for all the details!
Do you know if these are still available in July? I can't find it on their site, but I may just not know where to look. It is not listed under "July Group Specials".
Old 07-08-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack
Do you know if these are still available in July? I can't find it on their site, but I may just not know where to look. It is not listed under "July Group Specials".
It is there. You have to go to the tabs on the top of the page and click on "group specials" and it will show you. If you are having problems you can call them and ask, they are wonderful there!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:37 PM

Default A great blog...

My best friend is the preparedness person in her ward also, and she has decided to post a blogspot to help everyone along the way. Check it out at www.letusprepare.blogspot.com Good luck with your calling!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Junior Penny Pincher

Default Bulk Food Orders

If you call Jim Woods(ext.23, Secretary Michelle) at the Blue Chip Group(they sell the Morning Moo's Milk, Dehydrated and Freeze Dried Fruits and Veggies etc., alot of the same stuff you see at Macey's plus tons of other products) 1-800-878-0099. They will send you a bulk food storage list and the prices are considerably less than in the store, if your ward orders a minimum of 1000.00. We did our first order this month and reached 1000 easily, we are a very small rural community ward, so if you are in the city that price point shouldn't be a problem.Any other questions feel free to PM me.

Last edited by twist; 07-08-2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 PM

Default Hey! I just got that same calling!

I just got that same calling~ Someone upstairs must be wanting us to get prepared! We organized our ward into zones, 12 for our ward. Each zone has a zone leader. Our zone is just up and down the street. In an emergency we contact each zone leader and they are responsible for checking with each family in their zone, member or not, and then reporting the needs back up the chain. Make sure when you organize your zone that you do so by streets, so that when the ward boundaries change most of your zones will stay in tack. I've lived in Perry 8 years and am in my fourth ward change! Crazy!